5th Annual Star Awards winners unveiled
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands - March 11, 2013: On February 28, 2013, the Turks and Caicos Hotel and Tourism Association (TCHTA) unveiled the winners of its 5th Annual Star Awards under the stars at Regent Palms.
TCHTA members and the wider TCI community gathered in anticipation and excitement to see which employees and organisations representing various sectors of TCI's tourism industry, would walk away with the coveted fifteen Awards, symbolising the winners' dedication, hard work and commitment to the destination's leading industry.
The well attended and iconic event proved once again to be the "Oscars" of TCI's events as the glitz and glamour competed with the natural backdrop of the evening's skies. Patrons were kept entertained by the MCs for the event, Takara Bain along with Digicel's CEO E Jay Saunders, who has played the role of MC for the past three years. The talented students of Enid Capron Primary School Choir, Brentford Handfield, Tropical Soul and Sea Breeze Rip Saw Band kept the crowd entertained with their breathtaking performances throughout the evening.
After savouring a delectable buffet spread, patrons and nominees waited anxiously as the winners for the various categories were announced. Achieving awards for their best achievements and initiatives within the destination's tourism industry were:
1. Kirkwood Cox of Seven Stars Resort - 2012 Bartender of the Year
2. Colin Watson of Beaches TCI- 2012 Chef of the Year
3. Omar Hazel of Beaches TCI - 2012 Employee of the Year
4. Adias Mereus of The Sands at Grace Bay - 2012 Ambassador of the Year
5. Beatrice Tellus of Seven Stars Resort - 2012 TCHTA Shining Star of the Year
6. Janette Greene of Gansevoort TCI - 2012 Heart of Hospitality
7. Leonie Henry of Regent Palms - 2012 Manager of the Year
8. Indika Dissanayak of Seven Stars Resort - 2012 Supervisor of the Year
9. Shellion Meyler of Beaches TCI - 2012 Housekeeper of the Year
10. Karen Whitt of Regent Palms & Crawford Sherman of Parrot Cay Resort - 2012 Hotelier of the Year
11. George Hinson - 2012 Taxi Driver of the Year
12. Kitchener Penn - 2012 Entertainer of the Year
13. Regent Palms - 2012 Hotel of the Year
14. Parallel23 - 2012 Restaurant of the Year
15. Grace Bay Car Rentals & Sales - 2012 Allied Member of the Year
Also being presented with special Recognition Awards were TCHTA's out-going Board of Directors who served the Association tirelessly for the past two years, ensuring that TCI's tourism product remained competitive despite the many economic challenges. The Board's efforts under the leadership of President Karen Whitt resulted in TCI being one of the most sought after tourism destination in the region.
TCHTA's Association Executive Stacy Cox shared her excitement after the event stating, "Star Awards embodies the spirit of TCI and has become a very reputable event on TCI's calendar of events. Star Awards truly plays a significant role in honouring the achievements of our members and service providers working in the tourism industry. All service providers, even those who weren't awarded this evening, play a key part to the ongoing economic success of TCI and each year the Association looks forward to recognising their outstanding achievements; achievements and initiatives that improve our tourism standards."
Mrs. Cox added, "We encourage everyone to continue to improve their game and aim higher as we provide memorial experiences for the thousands of visitors who choose TCI as their vacation destination of choice every year."
TCHTA also thanked Corporate TCI for their support ensuring the success of the event and also thanked them for donating prizes to the winners:
• Do it Centre
• Beaches TCI
• Executive Tours
• Automotive Art TCI
• The Alexandra Resort
• The Sands at Grace Bay
• Ideal Petroleum
• The Vix
• Wrightfully Fit
• Royal West Indies
• Got U Covered
- ends -
About the TCHTA
The Turks and Caicos Hotel and Tourism Association (TCHTA) represents a wide range of members from hotels and resorts to insurance companies and financial service providers, from watersports operators to catering outlets, from taxi drivers to human resources. The Association aims to assist the organisations through networking opportunities, training, promotional activities and representation at all levels of decision-making in the Turks and Caicos Islands and the region.